The Parish Churches of St. Mary and St. James, West Derby
St James' Church is located in Mill Lane, West Derby. The Rector of St. Mary's Church, Rev Mark Coleman, is also Vicar of St. James. The church telephone number is 0151 256 6600.
The Readers are Eva Pritchard, Liz Shields and Richie Harley.The Churchwardens are Phil Owens and Frank Dickin.The Church is open on Sunday mornings and at other times by request. The main service on Sundays is at 11.00 a.m. and is followed by tea and coffee when we like to meet newcomers and visitors to St. James.
St. James Church was built in 1846 and was designed by Edward Welch. The chancel, Lady Chapel, vestries and tower stair case were added in 1879. The spire was demolished when it became unsafe in the 1970s.
The building was substantially altered in the 1990s to cater for a reduced congregation and to enable the building to be used socially. It is now used by a variety of youth groups and others during the week.
Arrangements for booking baptisms and weddings are the same as for St. Mary's - Monday nights (except Bank Holidays) at St. Mary's Church between 7.00 - 8.00 p.m.
Every first and third Sunday at 11:00 AM for 1 hour.
Every second fourth and fifth Sunday at 11:00 AM for 1 hour.
Donations to assist St James' in its mission and ministry in West Derby can now be placed on line using the link below. With many thanks.
5k@St J Café opened in Oct 2011 and is open Thursdays from now on 11 to 2. Come along and enjoy food, chat, games, internet, etc